Global figures continue to highlight how the power of television advertising remains resilient
‘The Global TV Deck’ features figures from 26 countries; a sample with the figures featured below is available to download for free here. It is designed to meet the needs of advertisers who are eager for transparent, reliable data and fresh insights. Major players in the TV industry are exchanging data and technical expertise to create this valuable databank annually for advertisers and remind them of the continuing importance of TV.
Areas covered in the global databank include TV’s reach, popularity, resilience, trust and impact, and effectiveness:
Reach: Based on the compiled data, TV reaches approximately 70.1% of Europe’s population daily and average daily viewing time is 3hrs 39mins. It is the unique combination of this reach together with the huge volume of time spent watching TV that makes it such a powerful form of advertising. For example:
- In Finland, television reaches 95.6% of the population within a month.
- Television still reaches 99.2% of the Portuguese population weekly.
Popularity: TV, in all its forms, is the world’s favourite video. On average, based on the available data, TV accounts for 90% of the average viewer’s video time. For the younger millennial audience, who are the most enthusiastic experimenters with all forms of video, it is also the largest proportion of their video time at around 73% of the total. For example:
- In Switzerland, TV accounts for 86% of all video time for the total population.
- In Ireland, TV accounts for 69.4% of all video time for 15-34-year-olds.
Resilience: Over the past decade, TV has proven remarkably resilient in an era of immense disruption. Despite the emergence of new SVOD services such as Netflix and the arrival of online video platforms such as YouTube, TV consumption has remained steadfast around the globe. Life stage also continues to be a significant driver of TV viewing. For example:
- In Austria, the average amount of time sent watching TV on a TV set has increased in the last decade from 2h33 a day in 2009 to 3h16 in 2019..
Trust and impact: TV is the most trusted form of advertising and remains most likely to make consumers laugh, move them to tears or trigger emotions. For example:
TV is by far the most trusted form of video advertising in Canada. 70% of 18-34 year olds named TV the most trustworthy compared to 12% for online video.
In the UK, 42% stated television is where they are most likely to find advertising that they trust in comparison to 6% for YouTube and 5% for social media.
Effectiveness: Advertisers invest in TV advertising because it works. Studies around the world demonstrate TV’s many effects – and the positive impact it has on other media. For example:
- In France, on average TV campaign achieves sales revenues (ROI) €4.9 per €1 invested.
- In Italy, TV generates almost three times the brand recall of Web ads (60% vs 18%).
- In the US, TV delivered the highest ROI of all media for every dollar spent at $14.34.
- In France, the traffic of an advertiser’s website during a TV campaign increases by 61%.
- TV is the media which generates the highest brand equity in Mexico, contributing a 28% share of contribution.
Ian Hampton, Senior Campaigns Manager, NHS England:
“Success depends on a fully integrated campaign... There is a time and a place for targeting through the obvious channels, digital and CRM, but there is also a time to talk to the nation and our TV campaigns do that brilliantly and successfully.”
Sharry Cramond, Marketing Director, M&S Food:
“What better way to get into the hearts and minds of Britain’s families than to team up with the biggest family show on TV. This partnership brought us into the homes of over eight million viewers each week, telling more families than ever about our great value, great quality food.”
Sarah Koppens, UK Marketing Director, Birds Eye:
“TV has been at the foundation of driving the transformation and reinvigoration of our brand. It is a mainstay of our communications strategy and plays a fundamental role in driving awareness of our key brand assets and the most important medium for driving long-term emotional connection with our brands.”
PRESS CONTACTS / ABOUT:
The Global TV Group is an informal grouping of broadcasters’ and sales houses’ trade bodies in Europe, the USA, Canada, Australia and Latin America, whose joint objective is to promote television. http://www.theglobaltvgroup.com/
egta is the association representing television and radio sales houses, either independent from the channel or in-house, that market the advertising space of both private and public television and radio stations throughout Europe and beyond. egta fulfils different functions for its members including regulatory issues, audience measurement, sales methods, interactivity, cross-media, new media etc. Over the years, egta has become the reference centre for television & radio advertising in Europe. egta counts 140 members in 40 countries. www.egta.com.
- Alain Beerens – Marketing & Communication Manager, egta
- Phone: +32 2 290 31 38 - E-mail: [email protected]
The Association of Commercial Television (AKTV) was formed in 2017 as an association of terrestrial television broadcasting operators with the goal of defending, supporting and promoting the common interests of commercial broadcasters in the Czech Republic. The founding members of the Association are the Nova, Prima and Óčko television networks. www.aktv.cz.
- Fianová Marie - Secretary General, AKTV
- Phone : +420 724 442 935 - E-mail: [email protected]
ABMA is the Belgian Association for Audiovisual Media. www.abma-bvam.be.
Centro Internacional Television Abierta - The Broadcast TV International Center is a think tank about broadcast commercial TV industry development and promotes its relevance as a commercial and social medium. The project is supported by: RedUNo and Unitel (Bolivia); TV Globo (Brazil); Caracol and RCN (Colombia); Mega (Chile); Teletica (Costa Rica); TC Television and RTS (Ecuador); Televisa (Mexico); Medcom (Panamá) America TV and Latina (Peru). www.centrotv.org.
- Otavio Bocchino - Executive Director, Centro Internacional de Television Abierta
- Phone: +556133228889 - E-mail: [email protected]
Federazione Concessionarie Pubblicità is the joint initiative representing TV sales houses in Italy. http://www.fcponline.it/
- Luca Franzoni - Responsabile Generale, FCP
- e-mail: [email protected]
ReklamKraft is the Swedish initiative representing TV sales houses in Sweden, represented by https://lennoxpr.se.
- Robert Svensson - Spokesperson, Reklamkraft
- E-mail: [email protected]
Screen Force (DACH) is the joint initiative of thirteen sales houses for television and online video in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. In Germany, the partners of Screenforce are representing more than 97% of the TV ad spend. www.screenforce.de.
- Andreas Kühner - Screenforce DACH
- Phone: +49 89 12 71 06 96 - E-mail: [email protected]
Screen Force Netherlands represents the strength of premium video content on all screens. Content which is measured in an accurate and transparent way. Outside the Netherlands countries like Germany, Finland, Austria and Switzerland also have a TV marketing body under the name of Screen Force. With them and also with other strong international TV markets, we always look for more cooperation and joining forces. Always with the purpose enable advertisers to achieve their marketing objectives with premium video content on all available platforms. www.screenforce.nl.
- Michel Van Der Voort - Managing Director, Screenforce Netherlands
- Phone: +31 (0)20 40 44 271 - E-mail: [email protected]
Screen Force Finland represents the four commercial television companies in Finland: MTV, Nelonen Media, Fox International Channels and Discovery Networks Finland. www.screenforce.fi.
- Sanna Wester - Screenforce Finland
- Phone : +358 40 754 4584 - E-mail : [email protected]
SNPTV (The Syndicat National de la Publicité Télévisée) is a professional organisation of the French TV sales houses (TF1 Publicité, M6 Publicité, France Télévisions Publicité, Canal + Régie, Next Régie, Lagardère Publicité, Amaury Media, Be Viacom, beIN Régie). SNPTV has for the main mission to collect the proofs, through collective studies, that the television is the undeniable media for the advertisers and their TV ads in terms of return on investment, construction of brand, fame, image, etc. www.snptv.org.
- Virginie Mary - Deputy Director, SNPTV
- Phone: + 33 (0)1 41 41 43 21 - E-mail: [email protected]
Thinkbox is the marketing body for commercial TV in the UK, in all its forms. It works with the marketing community with a single ambition: to help advertisers get the best out of today’s TV. Its shareholders are Channel 4, ITV, Sky Media, Turner Media Innovations and UKTV, who together represent over 99% of commercial TV advertising revenue through their owned and partner TV channels. Associate Members are Discovery Networks Norway, Disney, London Live, TAM Ireland, Think TV (Australia), thinktv (Canada), TVN Media (Poland),TV Globo (Brazil), TV2 (Norway) and Virgin Media. Discovery Networks UK & Ireland, and STV also give direct financial support.www.thinkbox.tv.
- Simon Tunstill - Communications Director, Thinkbox
- Phone: +44 (0)20 7630 2326 - E-mail: [email protected]
Think TV is a marketing initiative of Free TV Australia – the industry representative for all of Australia’s free-to-air metropolitan and regional commercial television broadcasters. Its mission is to maintain and grow TV advertising revenue by inspiring the advertising and marketing community to think TV. www.thinktv.com.au.
- Dominic White -Director of Communications, ThinkTV
- Phone: + 61 2 8968 7100 - E-mail: [email protected]
Thinktv is a marketing and research association dedicated to the advancement of commercial television. Thinktv works with the marketing community to help advertisers get the best out of television in all its forms. Thinktv is supported by its member companies who together represent more than 95% of commercial television advertising revenue in Canada. www.thinktv.ca.
- Laura Baehr - VP Marketing, thinktv
- Phone: +1 416 413 3885- Email : [email protected]
The Video Advertising Bureau is the leading authority on the quality and value of ad-supported TV and professionally produced video as it is distributed and viewed on every screen and device. The VAB puts the marketers first as it continually invests in industry-leading research and analysis to produce insights into consumer behavior and the power of TV programming to drive awareness, consideration, sales traffic, activation and loyalty. www.thevab.com.
- Danielle Delauro - SVP Strategic Sales Insights, The VAB
- Phone : +1 201 978 3496 - E-mail: [email protected]