One aspect of TV advertising – one that can often be overlooked or misattributed – is the effect it has on other media. TV drives activity elsewhere in the media eco-system and consistently makes other elements of advertising campaigns work harder.
Thinkbox’s ‘Demand Generation’ (2019), conducted with Wavemaker, Gain Theory and Mediacom, found that:
- TV made other media work harder by boosting the performance of the other media channels used in a campaign by up to 54%
- TV had by far the highest ‘multiplier effect’ of any media channel
Group M’s ‘TV Response: new rules, new roles’ (2015) found that:
- TV drives a response through several channels directly. It generates a quarter (25%) of all media-driven sales delivered via the phone, 45% of all media-driven sales via bricks & mortar and 29% of media-driven sales through web traffic driven direct-to-site – this includes non-paid-for search
- TV also drives an indirect response through online channels, generating 33% of media-driven sales via paid-for online search; 26% of media-driven sales whose last click is via an online display ad; and a fifth of media-driven sales via affiliate marketing
- And TV has a significant impact on social media activity, responsible for 33% of all media-driven interactions for brands on Facebook
Ebiquity’s ‘Payback 4’ (2014) found that:
- TV’s beneficial effect can be felt by all accompanying media. For radio advertising, the multiplier effect of TV advertising can be greater than 100% and is up to 50% for press and outdoor
- TV creates a ‘halo effect’ across a brand’s portfolio with 37% of TV's total sales effect is felt by products not directly advertised. For example, if a beauty brand advertises a shampoo on TV, the campaign is likely to boost sales of its other products, such as body spray or moisturiser
The IPA’s ‘Advertising Effectiveness: the long and short of it (2013), but Binet and Field, found that:
- TV and online synergy is particularly large. In fact, campaigns that use TV and online together are twice as efficient as those that incorporate brand advertising with other kinds of activation channels
- The synergy between TV and online has been increasing over time, with efficiency more than doubling since 2006
To download slides, click the button at the top of this page.