Thinkbox unveils 2017 TV Planning Awards shortlist
London, 2 May: Thinkbox today announced the shortlist of entries for the Thinkbox TV Planning Awards, which are being held on the afternoon of 29 June at One Marylebone in London. The awards, in conjunction with Campaign, celebrate brilliant TV planning.
Last year’s Grand Prix went to Manning Gottlieb OMD for Age UK with their campaign for ‘‘Telling the real story of Christmas to tackle loneliness’. This year’s field is led by MediaCom with 6 shortlisted entries.
By category, the shortlisted entries are:
Best use of TV And...
- Manning Gottlieb OMD and Drum for Age UK: ‘Power of One x Power of Many = Ending Loneliness’
- MediaCom for Tesco: ‘Tesco Christmas 2016…bring it on!’
- MediaCom for Churchill: ‘The Churchill Lollipopper Campaign’
- Mindshare and Y&R for Marks & Spencers:’ Winning Christmas with a new screen icon’
Best use of TV innovation
- Goodstuff and The Outfit for Taylors of Harrogate: ‘How we turned a pig farmer into a coffee farmer to bring home the coffee beans for Taylors’
- Manning Gottlieb OMD and adam&eveDDB for John Lewis: ‘On demand advertising’
- MEC and Anomaly for Freeview: ‘Context is everything’
Best newcomer to TV
- MediaCom for Pinterest: ‘Pinning our hopes on TV’
- PHD and AMV BBDO for Nutmeg: ‘Just ‘Nutmeg’ it’
- The7Stars and adam&eveDDB for Bulldog: ‘How a little TV drove some very elfy results for Bulldog’
Best ongoing use of TV
- Arena Media for Domino’s Pizza: ‘The Journey to Greatness’
- MediaCom for DFS: ‘How 6 years of TV advertising sold £1bn worth of sofas!’
- UM Birmingham for Yorkshire Building Society: ‘ROI driven brand building’
Best use of TV sponsorship
- MediaCom & MediaCom Sport and Entertainment for Allianz: ‘Dare to believe’
- MEC for Colgate: ‘BNTM Colgate’
- The7Stars for Suzuki: ‘#SuzukiSaturdays’
Best use of content
- MediaCom for Thomson: ‘Sensimar & First Dates - a match made in heaven’
- PHD and AMV BBDO for Sainsbury’s: ‘Giving Sainsbury's food a taste of fame’
- Vizeum and The Story Lab for Very: ‘Very loves giving at Christmas’
The judges – chaired by Tess Alps, Thinkbox’s Chair – come from across the advertiser, broadcaster, creative and media agency communities. They are:
- Andrew Mortimer, Director of Media, Sky
- David Wilding, Director of Planning, Twitter
- Dino Myers-Lamptey, Head of Strategy. the7stars
- Giles Hedger, Chief Strategy Officer, FCB Inferno
- Lindsey Clay, CEO, Thinkbox
- Lynne Robinson, Research Director, IPA
- Maisie McCabe, Acting UK Editor, Campaign
- Marianne Hewitt, Former Head of Brand Marketing, Age UK
- Mark Howley. CEO, ZenithOptimedia
- Michelle McEttrick, Group Brand Director, Tesco
- Mick Style, CEO, MEC Manchester
- Richard Shotton, Deputy Head of Evidence, Manning Gottlieb OMD
- Rick Hirst, CEO, Carat
- Sally Weavers, Former Managing Director, Initiative
- Sue Unerman, Chief Transformation Officer, MediaCom
- Tom White, Strategy Partner, AMV BBDO
- Zoe Clapp, Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, UKTV
- Zoe Harkness, Head of Industry Programmes, Thinkbox
This may be a short list but it is very, very long on talent. Even whittling so many excellent entries down to this has been tough. God knows how we’ll decide the winners.
But it is an honour for the judges to have such a difficult task. There is no better showcase than these awards of the many clever ways TV’s magic is being embraced by brands – from inspiring uses of spots to the new vistas being opened up by content partnerships and TV’s bright future with data. Enormous thanks to everyone who put the hours in to show off their hard and highly effective work, whether short-listed or not.
Tess Alps Chair of Judges and Thinkbox Chair
Thinkbox is the marketing body for commercial TV in the UK, in all its forms. It works with the marketing community with a single ambition: to help advertisers get the best out of today’s TV.
Its shareholders are Channel 4, ITV, Sky Media, Turner Media Innovations and UKTV, who together represent over 99% of commercial TV advertising revenue through their owned and partner TV channels. Associate Members are Discovery Networks Norway, Disney, London Live, TAM Ireland, Think TV (Australia), thinktv (Canada), TVN Media (Poland),TV Globo (Brazil), TV2 (Norway) and Virgin Media. Discovery Networks UK & Ireland, and STV also give direct financial support.
TV today has more to offer advertisers than ever before, not least because this growing medium remains at the heart of popular culture and advertising effectiveness. From understanding how audiences engage with TV advertising, uncovering what the latest technological developments mean, explaining innovative and affordable solutions, and encouraging creativity to providing the rigorous proof of effectiveness that advertisers need, Thinkbox is here to help businesses meet their marketing objectives.
In recent years, Thinkbox has won a number of awards including Media 360’s Industry Body of the Decade; Best Business to Business Marketing at The Marketing Society Awards for Excellence; the Grand Prix award for Best Media Research of the Year from the Media Research Group; the awards for Advertising and Media Research from the Market Research Society; Research Team of the Year from Mediatel; and its TV advertising has been awarded by The British Television Advertising Awards/ The British Arrows, the APA, D&AD and Creative Circle. Thinkbox’s ‘Harvey the dog ad’ was voted 2010’s Ad of the Year by a poll of ITV viewers, with the follow up TV Ad – ‘Harvey & Rabbit’ – appearing in Nielsen’s study of the Most Liked Ads of 2012 and Campaign’s Top 10 TV & Cinema Ads of 2012. ‘Harvey & Harmony’, the third ad in the Harvey series, was one of the nation’s top ten most liked ads of 2015 (source Ebiquity / TNS).