Thinkboxes June 2009 Winner: Heinz Tomato Ketchup ‘Bottle’
The June Thinkboxes winner is a simple, yet effective, idea, which reminds consumers of the vital part that Heinz Tomato Ketchup plays at meal times.
The ad, entitled ‘Bottle’ and created by ad agency Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO, is notable because the one thing that is absent throughout is the product itself.
The aim of the spot is to communicate the fact that Heinz Tomato Ketchup is so iconic and irreplaceable that you don’t need to see it to know that it is the subject.
In the ad, we see people from various generations patting, squeezing and scraping sauce from an invisible bottle, adding the final touch to different types of food, such as fish and chips and a hot-dog.
It is a confident statement, as other ketchups are available. The only shot of the product appears in the end frame, which signs off with the line ‘It has to be…’ next to a bottle of Heinz Tomato Ketchup.
We have a brand that has over 50% volume share and 70% value share so the key thing is retention of loyal customers,’ he says. ‘We worked hard to create something that typified the essence of Heinz Tomato Ketchup as being your mealtime best mate.
Adrian Mooney Marketing Director for Sauces at Heinz
Client Adrian Mooney; Ad agency Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO; Creative team Martin Loraine, Steve Jones; Production Blink; Director Dougal Wilson
Other ads on the podium
Virgin Media: Fantastic Journey (2nd)
- Creative agency RKCR/Y&R
- Creative team Mark Roalfe, Ted Heath, Paul Angus
- Client Ashley Stockwell
- Production company Rogue Films
- Director Sam Brown
Robinsons: Imagine (3rd)
- Creative agency Bartle Bogle Hegarty
- Creative team Daniel Schafer, Szymon Rose
- Client Lesley Davey
- Production company Blink
- Director Benito Montorio
Phones 4U – Ping Pong
- Creative agency Adam & Eve
- Creative team Sidney Rogers, Harry Bugden
- Clients Casper Nelson, Russell Braterman
- Production company Blink Productions
- Director Ben Wheatley
Strongbow – Last Push
- Creative agency St Luke’s
- Creative team Alan Young, Julian Vizard, Enrique Reija, Borja Alvarez, Tim Collins
- Client Fiona Seath
- Production company Outsider
- Director James Rouse