Thinkboxes July/August Winner
IKEA’s breathtaking spot, ‘Beds’ – set to Prospero’s speech from Shakespeare’s The Tempest, as recited by actress Prunella Scales – has won the July/August 2014 Thinkboxes Award for TV advertising creativity.
“The ad is part of a broader campaign to encourage people to think differently about the way they live at home, and is an illustration of the new IKEA brand platform ‘The wonderful everyday’,” explains IKEA UK and Ireland marketing manager Peter Wright.
To IKEA, the everyday is the biggest design challenge – whether it’s getting the kids ready and out of the house in the morning on time, or being able to find the right pair of shoes. These are the type of challenges people face every day, and where we believe we have the inspiration and solutions to make it a little easier.
Peter Wright UK & Ireland Marketing Manager, IKEA
Created for IKEA by Mother London, “Beds” features a young woman tumbling through the clouds. Her downward progress is broken by a succession of beds before she lands in her own, snug beside her partner and dog, who are both sound asleep. The spot is “a dreamlike celebration of the truth that wherever we go, there really is no bed like home,” adds Wright.
Client Peter Wright, IKEA; Creative agency Mother; Creative team Mother; Production Company MPC; Director Juan Cabral
Other ads on the podium
Transport For London: Share The Road (2nd)
- Creative agency M&C Saatchi
- Creative team Dan McCormack, Luke Boggins
- Client Miranda Leedham; Production company Stink
- Director Yann Demange
Three: Feel at Home (3rd)
- Creative agency Wieden & Kennedy London
- Creative team Scott Dungate Graeme Douglas
- Client Three
- Production company Hungryman
- Director Ric Cantor
Avis: Unlock The World
- Creative agency VCCP
- Creative team Jim Thornton, Kieran Knight Veryan Prigg
- Clients Simon Jackson, Rebecca White
- Production company Academy Films
- Director Marcus Söderlund
Irn-Bru: Irn In Our Blood
- Creative agency Leith
- Creative team Chris Watson, Rufus Wedderburn
- Client Martin Steele
- Production companies MTP, Mustard
- Director Martin Wedderburn
A view from a Thinkbox Academy member on this month's picks
Writing,” Dr Johnson wrote, “should help the reader better enjoy life or endure it” – not a bad dictum for telly ads. Lasting 330 seconds, this splendid quintet attempts both with varying success.
Will Awdry Creative Director, Ogilvy & Mather