This Tweet from a young boy told the team at 4Creative all they needed to know about the impact of their latest ad to promote Channel 4’s Paralympics coverage.
But the plaudits for this three-minute film just keep coming - and now their creative peers in the Thinkbox Academy have voted it the best TV ad to debut in July-August. The commercial beat four others to claim the Thinkboxes Award for TV Creativity, run in partnership with Campaign
The brief was relatively simple: promote the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics on C4. But the legacy of the two previous successful ads had set the bar incredibly high.
Built into C4’s DNA is the need to represent unheard voices. “The Paralympics is undeniably an essential part of this, as across the board disability is under-represented on our screens. So even if we can shift the perception of disability a small amount, then TV is doing an important job,” says his creative partner Scott Taylor.
The choice of primary medium was, of course, never in doubt. “As a broadcaster, TV is always at the cornerstone of any campaign we run. Our owned promo airtime hits around 30m people every week,” says C4’s marketing lead Laura Woodcock. “It’s how we mostly talk to our audience, telling them about not only our programming but also our brand and what we stand for.
“As well as our coverage, C4’s promotion of the Paralympic Games has put Paralympic sport on the map and, in doing so, helped deliver on core tenets of our remit: to change perceptions, challenge prejudice and provide a platform for voices heard all too rarely on TV. Our launch TV spot is always at the centre of every Paralympics campaign and the halo effect it has on the brand is unparalleled.”
Channel 4 ‘Super. Human.’
- Agency: 4Creative
- Creative team: Lynsey Atkin, Eoin McLaughlin, Andy Shrubsole, Scott Taylor
- Client: Channel 4
- Production company: Somesuch
- Director: Bradford Young
Avanti West Coast ‘Feel Good Travel’
- Agency: adam&eveDDB
- Creative team: Christian Sewell, Andy McAnaney, Jeppe Vidstrup, Simone Warme
- Client: Kate Squires
- Production company: MJZ Director: Tom Kuntz
International Paralympic Committee ‘#WeThe15’
- Agency: adam&eveDDB
- Creative team: Richard Brim, Laura Rogers, Genevieve Gransden, Selma Ahmed
- Client: Craig Spence Production company: Pulse
- Director: Sam Pilling
LiveScore ‘More than a score’
- Agency: Wonderhood Studios
- Creative team: Aidan McClure, Mark Slack Client: Colin Rickman
- Production company: Knucklehead
- Director: Christopher Hewitt
Spoke ‘Jack the not so standard mannequin’
- Agency: Mother
- Creative team: Mother
- Client: Danielle Betts
- Production company: MindsEye
- Director: Benjamin Green