TV’s scale, reach and impact are unrivalled. In 2017 TV accounted for 71% of the video day and despite the changes we’re seeing in our patterns of viewing as new ways to watch become more established, the fundamentals remain: we watch most of our TV live on a TV set and it reaches almost everyone each week.
- TV accounts for 71% of the video day for all individuals and 49% for 16-34s
- In 2017 we watched on average 3 hours, 23 minutes of linear TV on a TV set per day (live/playback/on-demand within seven days of broadcast)
- In addition to standard viewing, we watched 15 minutes of other broadcaster content each day: 11.5 minutes of other ‘non-industry standard’ broadcaster content on our TV sets each day (playback or on-demand viewing broadcast eight or more days before; broadcaster box set / film VOD viewing) and 3.5 minutes of broadcaster content on other devices
- Commercial viewing accounted for 2 hours, 17 minutes on average each day
- Weekly TV reach remained broadly stable year on year at 92.5%
- The average viewer watched 43 TV ads on a TV set each day. The top advertisers in 2017 were P&G, Sky, Unilever and Reckitt Benckiser
- Online businesses continue to be the heaviest investors in TV