There are two teams working for the Research & Planning Director – a research team, which is responsible for managing all the research that Thinkbox buys or commissions; and a planning team, which is responsible for managing our communications and services for agency and advertiser executives.
The Research and Planning (RAP) Assistant (internship) is an ideal role for someone looking to gain broad and varied experience in the world of media and so is perfectly suited to an undergraduate on a media studies or marketing course who wants to spend ten months doing a work placement in a relevant company.
The key elements of the role will be as follows;
- Presentations - arrange appointments for the RAP team to go and present to advertisers and agencies, learning to prioritise key contacts. Work with all members of the department to help create, update and develop our series of PowerPoint presentations that we take out to agencies and advertisers, including formatting as well as sourcing and updating relevant images and advertising assets.
- Training - help organise the Thinkbox training courses which explain the workings of television advertising and how its value can be realised.
- Case Studies - support the Planning team by liaising with broadcasters, agencies, advertisers and industry bodies to extract as much relevant case study material as possible and in some cases writing up the case studies for the website.
- Regular Reports - work alongside the Research team to produce all our regular reports examining the changing viewing landscape. You’ll analyse and interpret viewing data using audience analysis systems, conduct desktop research to uncover new viewing trends, facts and insight from across the industry and pull together key findings from previous Thinkbox studies.
- Events - provide support at Thinkbox events, hosted meetings and presentations.
- Website - help to update and maintain the RAP areas of the Thinkbox website.
- Helpdesk - support the team and help respond to various requests that come in via our Planning or Research helpdesk and log the requests once responded to
- Sourcing assets - Look for new advertising examples, innovative uses of TV and other data sources that Thinkbox can utilise in our external presentations and training sessions.
- Cover - provide reception cover, meeting preparation and switchboard duty cover for lunch breaks and sick leave.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have a passion for television – as both a viewer and in terms of its role as an advertising medium. They will have a good sense of the programmes and schedules produced by UK broadcasters, particularly the Thinkbox stakeholders, as well as a good understanding of how future technological developments will impact upon the media’s future.
The successful candidate will be confident, outgoing, able to work well under pressure, flexible and enthusiastic. This role is perfect for an ambitious and data curious person, an all-rounder that is as much at home with a spread-sheet as with PowerPoint. A high level of numeracy and the ability to communicate effectively are essential. Ideally the candidate will have experience of excel, word and PowerPoint.
Why work for Thinkbox
Thinkbox has a big voice in the media and advertising landscape in the UK and as such gives the successful candidate a unique opportunity with exposure to all sides of the industry and an unrivalled training programme. We believe that there is no better platform to begin a well-grounded career in media, marketing or advertising.
Thinkbox is a tightly knit team of 20 and so there is a wide diversity of responsibility across every role. This means there is a huge opportunity to learn new skills, build a strong understanding of the market and be a part of a passionate, ambitious team who are working on a number of ground-breaking projects.
In addition, the candidate will be able to spend time at our shareholders and also our media/creative agencies, learning about different areas of the business and experiencing it from a different perspective.
Thinkbox is the marketing body for commercial TV in the UK, in all its forms. It works with the marketing community with a single ambition: to help advertisers get the best out of today’s TV.
Its shareholders are Channel 4, ITV, Sky Media, Turner Broadcasting and UKTV, who together represent over 99% of commercial TV advertising revenue through their owned and partner TV channels. Associate Members are Discovery Networks Norway, Disney, TAM Ireland, Think TV (Australia), thinktv (Canada), TVN Media (Poland), TV Globo (Brazil), TV 2 (Norway), TV 2 (Denmark), DStv (South Africa), and Virgin Media. Discovery Networks UK & Ireland and STV also give direct financial support.
From ensuring that the facts about TV are known (and myths challenged) to understanding how and why TV advertising works, explaining how TV is changing, showcasing innovative and affordable solutions and constantly providing the rigorous proof of effectiveness that advertisers need, Thinkbox is here to help businesses meet their marketing objectives.
The organisation launched in February 2005 and is based at Carlisle Place in Victoria, London.
If you would like to apply for this role, please send a covering letter and your CV to [email protected].
For further information, including feedback from our current intern, please download the document at the top of this page.