Job Title: Film & Web Executive
Reports to: Web Manager
Thinkbox is the marketing body for commercial TV in the UK, in all its forms. It works with the marketing community with a single ambition: to help advertisers get the best out of today’s TV.
Its shareholders are Channel 4, ITV, Sky Media, Turner Media Innovations and UKTV, who together represent over 99% of commercial TV advertising revenue through their owned and partner TV channels. Associate Members are Discovery Networks Norway, Disney, London Live, TAM Ireland, Think TV (Australia), thinktv (Canada), TNV Media (Poland),TV Globo (Brazil), TV2 (Norway) and Virgin Media. Discovery Networks UK & Ireland, and STV also give direct financial support.
Our website, www.thinkbox.tv is a one-stop-shop window into the world of TV advertising and has won plaudits from around the world for the breadth, quality and usefulness of its content.
In recent years, Thinkbox has won a number of awards including Media 360’s Industry Body of the Decade; Best Business to Business Marketing at The Marketing Society Awards for Excellence; the Grand Prix award for Best Media Research of the Year from the Media Research Group; the awards for Advertising and Media Research from the Market Research Society; Research Team of the Year from Mediatel; and its TV advertising has been awarded by The British Television Advertising Awards/ The British Arrows, the APA, D&AD and Creative Circle. Thinkbox’s ‘Harvey the dog ad’ was voted 2010’s Ad of the Year by a poll of ITV viewers, with the follow up TV Ad – ‘Harvey & Rabbit’ – appearing in Nielsen’s study of the Most Liked Ads of 2012 and Campaign’s Top 10 TV & Cinema Ads of 2012. ‘Harvey & Harmony’, the third ad in the Harvey series, was one of the nation’s top ten most liked ads of 2015 (source Ebiquity / TNS).
The organisation is based at Carlisle Place in London’s Victoria.
Thinkbox is a friendly, high-performing organisation and the Film & Web Executive sits within the Marketing Department. We think it’s a corker of a job, bringing the opportunity to ‘own’ and produce high quality work that will be seen and appreciated by large numbers of people. The role is made up of two main elements:
- Creating Thinkbox’s AV output: from filming interviews and case studies involving the UK’s leading advertising practitioners, to editing inspiring brand stories and advertising reels for our London events. This ‘filming and editing’ component makes up about 60% of the role.
- Website content management: working alongside the Web Manager to post, update and develop content for the website and our email programmes
Being the organisation that represents commercial TV, we try to communicate televisually wherever possible. We aim to produce excellent audio-visual content that reflects the quality of the medium and also does a brilliant job of telling powerful TV advertising stories. Thinkbox’s films are an important marketing vehicle for the organisation and are shown at our events at Bafta Piccadilly; published via Campaign Magazine; hosted on Thinkbox.tv and via our partner The Marketing Society; as well as being used in presentations to thousands each year in the UK and globally.
The role includes some photography too: for example, photographing attendees and speakers at our events for use on our website and social media channels.
The Website part of the job involves publishing and editing content to the Thinkbox website, which includes copy, imagery, video and presentations via our content management system and supporting the Web Manager with all elements of running our website. Publishing is also required on our social media channels too.
We are looking for someone who also has a passion for all things TV, who is hard working, creative, inquisitive, enthusiastic, service and delivery focused, has high standards, is keen to develop new technical and A/V skills, and happy to turn their hand to anything to do with our website, the content we produce or that helps the broader marketing department with their mission.
The role may suit someone who has worked for a couple of years in an ad agency on in-house production (a ‘shooter/editor’ making pitch films or case studies etc); or who has worked in a media company on multimedia production; or is an ex-film school graduate who wants to turn their hand to making films about the varied and exciting medium of TV and TV advertising.
The role calls for the combination of creative audio-visual flair, curiosity, a passion for technologies, and a great attitude. Ideally someone who not only wants to further develop their filming and editing skills but also learn all about advertising, website content management and publishing compelling multimedia material.
In house filming and editing
- Operating DSLR cameras
- Editing films to brief; for the website, our events and presentations
- General production management of A/V kit: cameras, lights, sound, hard-drives etc
- Setting up, breaking down of shoots
- Putting forward ideas for potential new Thinkbox films
- Keeping up with all the latest film kit on the market, so we can continue to improve the quality of our AV.
Day-to-day implementation of website tasks
- Publishing content to the Thinkbox website via a Sitecore Content Management System (CMS); re-purposing images; compressing or converting or editing AV material; formatting web pages; finding or creating images to fit the Thinkbox website style; links; tagging; email processes etc.
- Updating existing content
- Assisting with quality control and implementation
- When necessary, liaising with the technical team at our web agency and other 3rd party providers
Preparation of content for multi-media presentations
- Sourcing, purchasing, converting content as requested by the presentations team (A/V, images, articles from the site etc).
Required Skills / Experience
- Some experience of cameras and filming
- Some video editing know-how (Premiere Pro, Avid, Final Cut Pro, or similar professional non-linear editing software)
- Good knowledge of Photoshop, or similar graphics software
- Working knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint
- Demonstrable creative aptitude
- Strong personal & communication skills, being able to articulate thoughts and opinions
- Good organisational and time management skills
Preferred but not essential
- Some experience of website Content Management Systems
- Ability to write good copy for use on our website and on social media
- Some understanding of the principles and practice of web design, site structure, information architecture
- Photography / Adobe Lightroom
- Experience in, familiarity with, or a working understanding of the UK advertising or media market